Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing – Exercise To Music
This qualification is aimed at individuals who want to pursue a career in the active leisure industry as a group exercise Instructor.
This qualification is aimed at individuals who want to pursue a career in the active leisure industry as a group exercise Instructor. Although there are no prerequisites for this course, our advice is that students are already familiar with exercise to music classes as participants.
The course involves some self-study, covering mainly anatomy & physiology, along with some worksheets that cover health and safety & supporting clients in the fitness environment. There is a tutor available to give support to students through the self-study component of the course. We recommend a minimum of two weeks for the self-study component, which must be completed prior to attending the practical module of the course.
The practical module runs over 4 days, usually over 2 weekends although we sometimes offer midweek courses & different formats, for example 1 day per week. Course days run from 9.00-5.00PM and it is essential to attend all of these.
The assessment for the course runs over 2 days, there is usually a gap between the first & second assessment days. The first assessment day involves completion of 2 multiple choice theory papers; these are done in the morning following a short revision session. The afternoon is used for practical workshops in preparation for the practical assessment on the second assessment day. The practical assessments run over a full day and we encourage students to bring friends or family along as participants to join in the sessions; students are required to attend the full day. There are also 2 assessment worksheets that are completed as part of the self-study component.
If successful in all the assessment elements, students will be awarded a YMCA Awards Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Exercise to Music). This qualification allows entry to the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at Level 2 & carries 20 REPs CPD points.
On completion of this course, students are eligible to progress onto more specialised courses at level 3, for example, the Diploma in Exercise Referral. Alternatively, to gain a wider range of expertise, there are other courses available at level 2 which may be of interest. Some examples include Gym Based Exercise, Health Related Exercise for Children, Circuit Training, Group Indoor Cycling, Kettlebells & Suspended Movement Training.
- Anatomy and physiology including:
- The heart, lungs and circulatory system
- Energy systems and their relation to exercise
- The musculoskeletal system
- The nervous system and its relation to exercise
- Posture and core stability
- The skills and knowledge required for planning & teaching a safe & effective exercise to music session with apparently healthy adults
- An introduction to special populations in an exercise class environment
- How to communicate with clients effectively, & motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments
- The health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating